Monday, December 20, 2010

Faith Statement

This past Sunday, I was baptised at the Elizabethtown Church of the Brethren and subsequently joined the Church. During Sunday's service, I delivered a faith statement to the congregation. These are my words.

I was raised in the earlier traditions of the Christian church. (Thanks to author Marcus Borg for providing this terminology!) During this time, I learned that the Bible represents the divine words of God, that my religion was the one true religion, and often feeling frightened that my salvation was in jeopardy when I made a mistake.

As I matured and experienced life, I found little in this view of Christianity that attracted me. I was absent from the Church - and from faith - for more than 10 years when I was introduced to the Elizabethtown Church of the Brethren. Hungry for a source of meaning and value, I began to seek a new framework to shape how I now view life.

For me, Elizabethtown Church of the Brethren is what Christianity and the Christian way of life are about. I want religion to be about more than doing what is needed to be saved. I am proud to be in the beginning stages of this journey and to make a commitment to follow Jesus Christ today.

No comments:

Post a Comment