Monday, December 6, 2010

I Am A Performer!

So, here it is. Nearly one week after I officially announced the launch of my blog, I am writing my first post. I thought about my blog a lot. I obsessed about the perfect first post. I delayed writing by completing other, seemingly crucial tasks, such as holiday shopping, designing Christmas cards, and vacuuming. I was engaged in sundry activities, none of which contributed to my blog. I believe this is a pattern.

I started this blog as a dedicated tool for honing my writing skills, expressing my feelings, and sharing my wit and knowledge with the whole wide world. Does sarcasm relay through the written word? And now that I finally have the tool, I am postponing greatness?! Yes, and it all reverts to my personality type. I remember completing a personality quiz at work and almost being blinded by a figurative light bulb, the light bulb that explained why I proclaim to love writing but don't invest time in doing so. It's my personality type.

To confirm the initial findings, I went online and took the Keirsey Temperament Test once again. For those who know me (and who else would be reading my blog at this point?), you won't be surprised to learn that I am a performer! Here's how my temperament shakes out:

Extroverted - 89%
Feeling - 75%
Sensing - 38%
Perceiving - 11%

First, allow me to point out my strengths because, in the true nature of a performer, they are the most eye-catching traits. I am talkative and witty and have the ability to delight with my warmth and good humor. I am lively and uninhibited, probably a problem on most days but let's list it in the strengths column for now. I live in the fast lane, and variety is the spice of life. This is evidenced by my calendar appointments, my to do lists, and my annoyingly long lists of interests and activities. I am incurably optimistic (go ahead, laugh) which is to say that, really, I ignore worries and troubles until they become a significant barrier. My personality type is also the second most generous which serves to explain why I enjoy volunteering and giving back and encouraging others to do the same. (Thankfully, these strengths indicate that I am well-suited to my career in Public Relations!)

My list of weaknesses (or blind spots, as noted here) begins with the fact that I am not a logical thinker. I don't like analysis or abstraction. Furthermore, and as writing is concerned, I seldom write from an outline. I am impulsive and need to see immediate results. Hence, I will obsessively check the stats on this blog post to see the number of impressions. (Be sure to share my blog with your friends!) I have difficulty deciding what to include. And that is why this post is five paragraphs long, and I am still considering how to wrap up. And lastly, but most importantly, I delay writing because I don't have a clear sense of direction. Huh? Me? Oh, and I attempt to visually capture emotion through italics, CAPITALIZATION and exclamation points so get used to it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment